Masters (MS) Degree
Deadline: 1 Oct /1 Feb (annual)
Study in: Netherlands
Course starts Feb 2014
The Leiden University Excellence Scholarship Programme (LExS) is open to outstanding Non-EU/EEA students pursuing a master’s degree programme at Leiden University.
Leiden University, The Netherlands.
Field of study:
All MA, MSc and LL.M programmes as mentioned on the website Master’s programmes in Leiden, a number of programs have a start date in September only.
Number of Awards:
The scholarship programme is intended for international candidates from Non-EU/EEA students showing the highest achievements and promise for a master’s degree study.
The Leiden University Excellence Scholarship programme has 5 awards:
• Platinum Covers the tuition fee minus the home fee* and an allowance of €10,000 for living costs
• Gold Covers the tuition fee minus the home fee*
• Silver Covers 75% of the tuition fee
• Bronze Covers 50% of the tuition fee
• Ivory Covers 25 % of the tuition fee
The maximum study period is 12 months (1-year programme) or 24 months (2-year programme).
Important Note: Students should be aware that the LExS is not a full scholarship. It is necessary to find additional funding to be able to finance their study and stay completely. Leiden University advises a budget, not including the tuition fee, of approx. €10,000 to €14,000 per year to cover the costs for rent, insurance, living expenses, course books and local transportation.
• Non-EU/EEA students enrolling in a Leiden University master’s degree programme
• In his or her prior academic education abroad, the applicant must have achieved excellent study results which are relevant for the programme for which the student wishes to enrol. As an indication, the student will be among the top 10% for the relevant programme followed abroad
• The applicant will hold a non-EU/EEA passport and will not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans (“Studiefinanciering”; for more information please refer to: www.ib-groep.nl
• Scholarships will not be awarded to applicants who have already obtained a Leiden University master’s degree
• Students who are granted a Leiden Excellence Scholarship must comply with and confirm in writing their agreement with the terms and conditions (pdf) attached to the scholarship prior to the granting of the scholarship.
When applying for admissions, indicate clearly that you would like to apply for the LExS scholarship on the scholarship section of the online application form. You should attach a letter of motivation (in Word) of a maximum of 500 words, in which you indicate why you believe you should be considered for this scholarship.
For programmes starting in September 2013, the deadline was 1 February 2013. For programmes starting in February 2014, the deadline was 1 October 2013.
It is important to visit the official website (link found below) to access the online application form and for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Official Scholarship Website: http://prospectivestudents.leiden.edu/scholarships/scholarship/lexs.html