Deadline: April-Aug 2013
Study in: New Zealand
Course starts SY 2014-2015
The New Zealand-ASEAN Scholar Awards are scholarships for international students from Southeast Asian countries who wants to study in New Zealand with the intention to help in the development of their home countries. The scholarships are funded by the New Zealand Aid Programme, the New Zealand Government’s international development programme.
See the list of participating New Zealand Institutions.
Field(s) of study:
The scholarships seek to empower individuals to contribute to the economic, social, and political development of their countries. The preferred fields of study varies per country and may include the following sectors:
Agriculture, Business, Tourism, Governance, Private Sector Management, Public Sector Management, Disaster Risk Management, Governance, Renewable Energy, Trade and Development
Applications for New Zealand-ASEAN Scholar Awards are welcome from the following countries: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.
Scholarships include financial support for tuition, living costs while in New Zealand, an establishment allowance on arrival in New Zealand, and return airfares.
The New Zealand-ASEAN Scholars Awards are open to candidates from the public and private sector including civil society, university lecturers, development-focused organisations and charitable foundations.
To be eligible, you must:
• be a citizen of one of the eligible countries and have resided in that country for at least two years at the time of application
• not have citizenship/permanent residence status for New Zealand or Australia
• not be married or engaged to be married to a person who holds New Zealand or Australian citizenship or permanent residence status
• not hold or have held a New Zealand Government or Australia Government scholarship in the preceding 24 months at the time of application
• not be seeking support for a degree programme already commenced
not hold a qualification at a similar level or in a similar field of study at similar level (this means holders of bachelor degrees should apply for Masters or PhD and Masters graduates should apply for PhD study)
• be available to take up the scholarships in the calendar year for which the scholarship is offered
• hold a bachelor degree of strong academic merit that is relevant to the proposed post graduate qualification
• have a minimum IELTS (academic) results of 5.5 overall, with no band less than 5.0 and results to be no older than 24 months at time of application
• satisfy the admission requirements of the New Zealand institution in which the degree programme is to be undertaken, including that institution’s English language criteria.
Application processes and timelines can vary depending on the country. For information about the application process please see the scholarship information page for your home country. Deadline varies per country but is around April-August 2012 for studies commencing in SY 2013.
It is important to visit the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Official Scholarship Website: http://www.aid.govt.nz/funding-and-contracts/scholarships/types-scholarship/new-zealand-asean-scholar-awards